I just spent 3 weeks travelling. And the one thing that was crystal clear to me all that time was that I did not want to keep living this life as I currently was, starting with my current job!
|(Gratuitous travel photo 1: of me...you know where!)|
This is something Tomas and I talk about a lot. And yet that is all either of us ever seem to do...talk.
|(GTP 2: the shoes weren't the only thing I loved about Amsterdam!)|
So, a Few Home Truths
- A mutual friend of Tomas and I has been staying this past week, and said every time I've seen you for the past 3 years you've both been hating your jobs! (She is not exaggerating!)
- I've let life take me where it wanted...I haven't been particularly proactive in my approach.
- The fear of doing the wrong thing stops me from doing anything.
- I start getting the Monday blues on Saturday afternoon.
- My role at work is changing a little, in a way that I think will be less creative, ie: more of the stuff I don't like about my job and less of the small amount of stuff I do.
- This list could go on and on...
|(GTP 3: my 'little' cousin, travelling companion extraordinaire!)|
Today I had brunch with some friends. One told how she'd been so dissatisfied with her job earlier in the year that she'd started looking and applying for new ones with a vengeance. Then one just came and tapped her on the shoulder. She starts her new job in January. It's a new challenge, in a new town. She is excited.
She also mentioned her housemate, an accountant, who wanted a change, so moved over from Perth, got a job as a barista - complete with on the job training, and is enjoying the less stressful pace for a while.
Another friend is growing her online business so that she can support herself enough to quit her day job and do the thing she's always dreamed of; another is setting up a small business so that when she has kids she has a way to keep income coming in; another quit a job that no longer suited her and moved to a new company, new boss, better role.
People are doing it... people are purposefully designing the lives they want to live, and putting those designs into action!
In my heart I know the kind of life I want. Now I just need to plot a plan to get from design to implementation! (And I'm putting it out here in an attempt to be accountable!)
How about you...have you designed the life you want to live, and are you/have you done anything to work towards it?
We'd love to hear what you're doing, and what steps you're taking towards the life you want!
Wishing you a great week!